Cops cuff suspects in East Village, Brooklyn murders

Homicide detectives picked up two suspects on Monday night in connection with recent murders in the East Village and Brooklyn, police announced.

Oneil Brown, 42, of Gerard Avenue in the Bronx was tracked down on Oct. 4, nearly three months after he allegedly stabbed a 37-year-old man to death in the East Village in an apparent prostitution/drug deal gone bad.

According to law enforcement sources, Brown attacked Marvin Bellamy, 37, of Columbus Avenue following an argument at the corner of 1st Avenue and East 6th Street at about 6 a.m. on July 14. 

Officers from the 9th Precinct, in responding to a 911 call, found Bellamy unconscious and unresponsive with a puncture wound to his chest. EMS rushed him to Mount Sinai Beth Israel Hospital, where he was pronounced dead a short time later.

Sources familiar with the investigation said Brown, who had been identified as the prime suspect in the case, was picked up within the confines of the 13th Precinct in Chelsea on Oct. 4. Following questioning, he was booked on one count of murder.

Also on Monday night, detectives in Brooklyn collared Kevin Phillips, 39, a Kings Highway resident accused of murdering a rival during a backyard party back in May. 

Law enforcement sources said Phillips got into a dispute with Miles Boppsemple, 31, of Eastern Parkway while they both attended the May 17 gathering outside 688 Remsen Ave. in Canarsie at about 12:23 a.m. that morning.

The argument turned deadly, cops said, when Phillips allegedly pulled out a gun and opened fire on Boppsemple, striking him in the chest. A second victim, a 30-year-old man, also took a bullet to the back. The suspect then fled the scene in an unknown direction.

Officers from the 67th Precinct responded to a 911 call about the shooting. Boppsemple had been taken via private means to Brookdale University Hospital, where he died a short time later.

The 30-year-old victim was treated at Brookdale Hospital and survived his injuries, police said.

Detectives had linked Phillips to the deadly shooting, and finally tracked him down at about 8:55 p.m. on Oct. 4 within the confines of the 67th Precinct. He faces charges of murder, attempted murder, assault and criminal possession of a weapon.