Yonkers man booked for bloody hatchet attack at Financial District bank

A Yonkers man faces attempted murder charges for a horrific hatchet attack on a 50-year-old man at a Financial District ATM on Sunday afternoon.

Police said Aaron Garcia, 37, was picked up by 10th Precinct officers on Tuesday night after he allegedly went on another violent rampage — taking a hammer to several car windows and mirrors, and even a restaurant, in Chelsea. 

But during questioning, police linked Garcia to the bloody assault that occurred at about 5:22 p.m. on Aug. 15 inside the ATM lobby of the Chase bank at 42 Broadway, off Beaver Street.

Law enforcement sources said the 50-year-old male victim was using an ATM at the location when he felt a sudden pain in the back of his leg. He then turned around to see the suspect, identified as Garcia, armed with a hatchet.

Police said Garcia allegedly proceeded to strike the victim repeatedly about the head, causing severe lacerations. As the victim attempted to fight off his attacker, Garcia allegedly grabbed hold of him and smashed his head into a nearby ATM. 

The suspect then took off from the location in an unknown direction.

The Chase bank at 42 Broadway in the Financial District.Photo via Google Maps

Officers from the 1st Precinct, in responding to a 911 call about the incident, found the 50-year-old victim lying in the lobby and bleeding heavily. EMS rushed him to Bellevue Hospital, where he remains in stable condition.

Detectives recovered from the crime scene the hatchet used in the attack, which the assailant left behind.

Another newspaper obtained footage of the crime, but both the NYPD and Chase Bank denied providing the video to it. 

“We shared the video of this senseless attack with police and continue to work with them on their investigation,” according to a statement from Chase Bank. “We’ve reached out to our customer and his family, and share their hopes for continued recovery.”

Then, at about 8 p.m. on Aug. 17, officers from the 10th Precinct responded to multiple 911 calls regarding a rampaging man breaking car windows with a hammer in the area of 176 8th Ave. in Chelsea.

The responding officers apprehended Garcia without further incident in the rear of the location. After taking him into custody, EMS brought him to Bellevue Hospital for a psychiatric evaluation.

At this point in the ongoing investigation, law enforcement sources said, police do not yet know the motives behind both attacks.

Garcia remains in police custody at Bellevue pending the evaluation and subsequent arraignment in Manhattan Criminal Court, law enforcement sources said.